So, I am getting really excited for the event! I think we have been through a lot as a class and have learned so much. Everything that we have done wrong we have learned to make it better. Everyone has put in so much work too.
When I spoke to the librarians at the Brooklyn library on Saturday I really felt that I gained some insight on the community. They are in so much need. When I was talking to one of the women, I could tell in her eyes how grateful she was that we were working on this project. When I told her about the continuation of the project she was really excited and wanted Dr. King, Katie and I to talk at the next library meeting.
The other lady seemed exhausted from everything she has experienced living in Brooklyn her whole life. She said that it has changed a lot and has gone through a tremendous amount of pain and suffering.
Both of these ladies agreed to do an oral histories at a later date. I told them I would be dropping by more fliers this week. They both took my number down and said that they were going to call me this week about tickets. They wanted to see about getting their family and friends to go too!
So, I am at a friends party Saturday night and I am talking to a few people about the project. I haven't seen these friends in months.... I found out that 1 of my friends whole family grew up in Brooklyn. She was at club 4100 every Easter with her family. Her grandmother lived on 5th street. They are polish and hung out at the Polish Home Hall. I am so bummed I didn't know this because she said if she had more time she could have gotten some pictures together. She still will, but I know it will not be in enough time for the event. She knew so much about the club and I am definitely going to have to get an interview with her and her family this summer.
Then someone overheard me and was like " my dad grew up in Brooklyn Park". She also knew so much about the neighborhood and is always in the area. I gave them fliers and one said she would come up if she could and the other lives over the Bay Bridge- so does her family now and she knows it wouldn't be possible for them to come to the event:(
I think it is pretty cool how I didn't know anything about this neighborhood and now it seems that everything is coming together and I truly feel connected to it. As I drove down streets there were so many families out on the porches and playing. I really wanted to talk to them but since I was by myself I figured I would just take the pictures. I hope next Saturday is gorgeous so we can go out and really try and get people out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment